Newly-opened Kathmandu stores retain
- in the fit out - an industrial-look envelope of concrete floors and walls with vestige patches of the stripped veneer of previous building uses. The new Camberwell store is founded in the old Borders Bookstore building. Within this austere shell, clothing and footwear displays in
Recycled Messmate supplied by Timberzoo are viewed in an apparently unburnished state
- but in reality through an invisible matt finish. This rawness in natural textures set against the coarse bulk of concrete and brick is appealing. As an intermediate texture
- our Sawtooth Lining board would have been an interesting addition.
Since launching our new Sawtooth Lining board in August, we have had some feedback from customers who previously purchased packs of the cheap falldown grade of
'rustic' lining board with its variable thickness and finish. This criticism from Stewart Guthrie,
Boxes and Crates, typifies the responses.
In the middle of the vineyard belt, tucked away at the base of McAdams Lane, something pretty good is happening with recycled timber. Good design isn't about the combination of the perfect and unique. Instead, it's about using materials that provide a rhythm and a heartbeat. Peter and Cate Slattery's winery and reception centre at Terindah Estate is spacious, but light in construction. A compelling presence on a spidery frame of galvanised steel. Sliding glass and steel doors function as
opening walls spilling out to broad verandas with a view of the You Yangs through a vernal brume. Sturdy
Blackbutt Wharfdeck supports the underfoot, solid Jarrah treads reprocessed from Station Pier timbers lead downstairs to a garden courtyard paved with recycled
Overhead a broad ceiling of Sawtooth Lining in wide Douglas Fir boards create a cadence that is in harmony with this modern structure. The
185mm x 14mm wide boards are sawn from old Douglas Fir beams at Timberzoo. The dark oxidised patinas and the smoky weathered case of the beams is retained. While the back and edges are planed to a high tolerance, the cutter heads are set to merely kiss this old surface
- revealing skip-dressed patches and the regular pattern of sawblade ticks. A copacetic texture in the manufactured age. The
timbers' claims on the distant or remembered past are set against the very newness and modernity of Slattery's building
- but acquiesce without discord. More news on this when the project is complete.
40mm x 32mm pencil-round edges Rate: $3.50/m
Leftover timber in various sizes has a valuable reduction capacity - especially if the lengths are short to medium.
Resawn to battens in 40mm x 32mm, and profiled with a fine radius on all edges, odd packs of board find a new life as fence picket or screening batten in a fairly muscular dimension. It's a great use for what is surplus - almost waste timber. Much of it can otherwise end up as pallet or paling. These Blackbutt battens have durability, strength, seasoned kiln-dried stability and now they have discovered a fair and fitting purpose. Possible uses might be as elegant shade, privacy or window screens, and picket fences.
We have good stocks at
Timberzoo at the present time and it is selling at a very sensible price.
DAR 270mm x 60mm Rate: $120.00/m
To the customers who begged me to dress to a planed finish the long jarrahs 4.0m to 5.6m for beams and benches, I can now say
- they are in stock and the chiropractor is seeing me this afternoon at five. Glad you talked me into it. These beams have an appealing
finely-fractured dressed face and a dark claret patina that lots of projects are looking for.
Recycled Bridge Girders